e_bookpushers

I am E_bookpushers and I am addicted to books. I have to thank my mother for my addiction because one of my fondest memories involves bedtime stories. No, I am not talking about Dr. Seuss, Bernstein Bears or Madeline, those were daytime learn to read books, but I am talking about Tolkien, Richard Adams and Asimov…

Thanks to my mother’s open mindedness I did not grow up a genre snob. While I tend to read and enjoy SF/F in its various permutations, romance and its sub-genres I also read and enjoy westerns, murder mysteries etc. If a book can capture my attention, spark my imagination; carry me into a different world/reality than I am willing to give it a try. So bring on your recommendations so I can update my TBR list.

Happy reading!

Blind Destiny - Shiloh Walker Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/10/17/review-blind-destiny-by-shiloh-walker/

Publisher: Samhain
Publish Date: Out now
How I got this book: ARC from the author

Heigh ho, heigh ho, it’s back to hell she goes…
Grimm’s Circle, Book 7
Myrsina knows the stories. As one of the oldest of the Grimm, she had a hand in writing most of them, but only she knows the dark origin of the Seven Bloody Sisters. It springs from the place of her birth—and her death. A place of pain and misery to which she plans to never return. Unless forced.
When Luc appears on her doorstep, her heart twists with suppressed longing for the man who can never be hers. The only man who can make her do the impossible—go home.
Luc may be blind, but through their unique, bittersweet connection, even he can see that the task laid before them is ripping Sina’s soul apart. This time it isn’t as simple as fighting a demon that has escaped from the netherplains.
Sina must go back in time—to that cursed ground—and right a wrong that she unknowingly brought about. To write a new ending to a story that may give them both a chance at happily ever after. Assuming they survive.
This blurb came from the author’s website here.

I have been a fan of Walker’s Grimm series since it started and this was no exception. Each time I think she has reached the darkest level of fairytales, Walker manages to take it one step further. I also thought I was pretty familiar with the different takes on non-Disneyfied fairytales, but this one – even though I knew the modern story – I had to ask where the legend came from. In other words, Walker managed to both captivate (her usual) and stump me, which I found delightful especially since this wasn’t a romantic suspense.

While Walker’s last installment in the Grimm Circle Grimm Tidings also dealt with the heroine dealing with her past the difference between the two was striking. Sina had done something as an abused young woman and then tried to clean it up as a young Grimm however, what she didn’t know at the time ended up coming back to haunt her in more ways then one. Not only had things gotten worse at the site of her death but they had also negatively affected countless others over time. Sina had to deal with both her past and what her actions had caused.

Unlike most of Walker’s other Grimm heroines Sina was a challenge to like. She was a witches brew of tangled emotions ranging from scared, haunted, envious, longing to have someone, lonely, attracted yet fighting it, jealous, tired, guilt, and I think that is just about everything. Yet to almost anyone other than Luc and Will (the leader of the Grimm) she is completely in control of her world and a great mentor for the younger Grimm. As Blind Destiny continued and I was able to gain some insights into Sina my heart broke for her. She had been through so much and still had a rough patch to hopefully come through before she had a chance at a HEA.

Luc also had a tortured life, death and then life as a Grimm. We find out about him in Tarnished Knight and my heart felt for him so much there. Even though the ending there was a good logical one, Luc was still dealing with the rather large change in his life. He is technically blind but between his affinity to animals, guide dogs rather, and the other skills he developed he actually sees more then Sina does. Their encounters together were so full of unspoken emotion that sometimes I wondered how they were able to breathe.

Luc didn’t let Sina avoid the major problem they were sent to fix nor did he let her go off and attempt to take care of it on her own. I loved that he was fighter and man enough to make sure he assisted her. I was extremely impressed when he stood up to the “new angel” who didn’t seem very angelic at all. I hope to see more of him *hint, hint* because I think his story would be a truly fascinating one. Not to mention the effect he has on the Grimm… One of the other things I loved about this story is exactly how much it took Sina to open her eyes and stop being willfully blind to the world around her.

Once again Walker took me on a wonderful journey to the world of the Grimm. I am never disappointed with what she provides even though I have pretty much given up trying to predict what is going to happen next. I am looking forward to the next installment.

I give Blind Destiny a B+